Once I had created the dressing for my Harvest Quinoa Salad,
I was totally smitten â€“ a nondairy creamy dressing. OMG it was so good!!
So good that it disrupted my sleep that night
as the idea for this recipe entered my mind (around 3 am).
Before falling back to sleep, I jotted down this recipe on sheets of paper by the bed –
a warm kale salad with carrots and garbanzo beans served over tricolor quinoa â€“
my disruptive kale salad!
- 1 large bunch kale, cut into large chopped pieces (I used curly kale from the farmer’s market)
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 cups quinoa cooked to package instructions
- 4 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2 shallots or 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
- 4 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 tablespoon chives
- Cook 2 cups of quinoa according to the directions on the packaging. When quinoa is finished cooking place in a bowl and allow to cool (I refrigerated mine to cool it down quicker).
- While quinoa is cooling cook your vegetables.
- Drizzle some olive oil in a skillet.
- Cook the garlic in olive oil over medium heat for a couple minutes to soften the garlic.
- Add carrots to garlic and cook briefly until carrots are bright orange.
- Remove garlic and carrots from heat and set aside.
- Again drizzle some olive oil into your skillet and cook chopped kale over medium heat until it turns bright green and wilts.
- Remove the kale from heat before it turns brown (keep that bright green color).
- Prepare dressing:
- Whisk the Champagne vinegar, olive oil and lemon juice together.
- Add green onions, tahini and herbs mixing well (add a little salt and pepper to taste).
- In a large bowl add cooked quinoa, kale, garbanzo beans, carrots and garlic mixing well.
- Drizzle dressing over the mixed salad ingredients and mix together.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste if desired.