This is our therapeutic â€œI love you + feel better soupâ€ with lots of ginger plus garlicÂ made especially for those times when one of the team isn’t feeling well.
We make it as a remedy for colds, sore throats, flulike symptomsÂ or just when you need the comfort of a warm soup from your throat down to Â your tummy.
Bueno started making Arroz Caldo (this soup) for me when we were datingÂ (what a way to win the heart of a girl!).Â Originally, his mom made it for him as a kid whenever he or one of his other siblings was sick.Â Her version is much better, but we have adapted the recipe to be super quick and simple.
I’ve even made it for myself when he has been out of town, and I haven’t been feeling wellÂ (although it’s always so much better when someone else makes it for ya!).
Check out my pantry provisions page for my recommendations on the best un-chicken broths.
- 4 1 inch pieces of ginger root, peeled and cut into larger slices
- 6 large cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed (or a rough chop if you prefer)
- 8 cups un-chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups cooked organic white rice, jasmine
- flat leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
- Add garlic and ginger to a large soup pot.
- Add un-chicken broth to pot.
- Add the water now or at the end to see if you prefer it in the soup.
- Bring ingredients to a boil.
- Turn down heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Add cooked rice to soup and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Allow to cool and remove ginger pieces.
- Remove garlic pieces if you prefer.
- Add a sprinkle of chopped flat leaf parsley to the bowl before serving.