My market vegetarian and vegan chili is perfect to celebrate
the spirit of the New Year (black-eyed peas + 3 others) and is sure to be a year-round favorite.
Our boys love it too – we serve it on top of pasta for them.
Stay warm y’all!!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 14 1/2 ounce can chopped tomatoes (I like diced and fire roasted)
- 4 cups unchicken broth (or chicken broth)
- 15.5 ounce can black beans, drained
- 15.5 ounce can kidney beans, drained
- 15.5 ounce can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 cup dried fava beans
- 1 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 cup butternut squash puree
- chopped scallions and corn chips to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot over medium-low heat and add the onion.
- Cook the chopped onions for approx 5 minutes (or until they become transparent), stirring occasionally.
- Add the red pepper, yellow pepper and garlic and cook about 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring frequently, approx. 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato and butternut squash puree and beans.
- Simmer with lid askew approximately 45 min.
- Allow to cool before putting into bowls.
- Garnish and serve.